Friday, April 13, 2012

How Big Is That Cat?

If they're Maine Coons, pretty big! Heath and Cali are just about two weeks away from their first birthday. As they are my first Maine Coons, I still marvel at how big they are. I was going to weigh them before writing this post, but both are sound asleep and don't want to be disturbed. (Cali is actually snuggled up, leaning on me)  Based on their most recent weights, within the last month or so, Cali is between 13 and 14 pounds, and Heath is between 15 and 16 pounds. Cali is a good sized girl cat, but is a petite girl cat next to her big brother. Now you hear stories of 30 pound Maine Coons, which makes 16 pounds not sound that impressive. I can tell you first hand that 16 pounds is a very big cat! My reading suggests that tales of 30 pound cats are generally greatly exaggerated. If not, the cat must be terribly fat. 20 pounds is a huge domestic cat. Even at 16 pounds, Heath is not all that graceful at times. Okay, husband just calls him clumsy. These are not lithe, agile cats. They more like the draft horse of the cat world. Heath and Cali can jump on the kitchen counter, but that is about the extent of their jumping ability. Actually, they've been known to miss, usually because of a pile of papers which makes them slip on landing.  (Did I mention the time I rushed Heath to vet with a swollen, hurt hock? Yeah, pretty sure he tried for the counter and missed.) Given that they are not quite a year old, I'm sure both kitties have a little more growing and filling out to do. With Heath's appetite, I'm trying to make sure he doesn't grow in the wrong direction. He is a very fine, big boy.

Postscript: We weighed the Coons. Heath is 15.2 pounds and Cali is 13.2 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment